My Thoughts on Technology and Jamaica: How to make the JA$110 Lasco Ice Dream you can get at Hi-Lo Supermarket

Saturday, February 27, 2016

How to make the JA$110 Lasco Ice Dream you can get at Hi-Lo Supermarket

As an ardent ice cream lover, especially on a Sunday, I was quite surprised when Lasco decided to launch their Ice Dream powdered Ice Cream product.

So much so that I did a blog article predicting the eventual demise of Ice Cream in Jamaica as per my blog article entitled “How JA$130 Lasco Ice Dream dessert mix will revolutionize the Jamaican Ice Cream market”. 
 


So naturally I wanted to test it out. As soon as the product became available, I purchased it at the Hi-Lo Supermarket for JA$110 on Friday February 19th 2016. Available only in Chocolate or Vanilla, I naturally chose chocolate for my grand experiment with the gang on Sunday February 21st 2016.
 


The instructions are very simple:

1.      Add 6.8 fl. oz. (200mL) of cold water
2.      Add entire sachet (130g) of Lasco Ice Dream
3.      Mix using hand mixer on high speed for two minutes or whisk for about 5 minutes until frothy
4.      Freeze for minimum of twelve hours

So what was the result. As luck would have it, I took an awful lot of pictures!

Taste Test for Lasco Ice Dream – Affordable Dream comes true for DIY Ice Cream lovers

My setup was blessedly simple, with just my magic bowl and my fork as the mixer to mix out the ingredients.
 


As you can see below, I didn't use a hand mixer, just a regular fork.
 


After mixing, I then went into the communal refrigerator along with my Ackee (that's for laters!).
 


It took awhile to freeze, roughly 12 hours, as my fridge isn't exactly a top of the line model. But the end result was truly a surprise.
 


It tasted exactly like Ice cream, sweet just like Chocolate Ice Cream with the same texture and flavour. It had me thinking I could do this every Sunday at JA$110, it's cheaper than buying a cup of ice cream in Swallowfield!
 


The only thing I'd change is the use of gelatine, which I'd add to give it a bit more body. Also you can add other flavours to make other types of ice cream.

You can even use any liquid as the base, from Red Stripe Beer to Bag juice, even Schweppes tonic wine to make it Glow-in-the-Dark Ice Cream as explained in my blog article entitled “How to make Glow-In-The Dark Ice Cream from Scratch - US$25.95 Zoku Ice Cream Bowl makes Avatar The Last Airbender Frozen Novelties”.

Lasco Ice Dream is truly a dream come true for Ice Cream lovers who like to DIY (Do It Themselves)!




No comments: