My Thoughts on Technology and Jamaica: US$665 1TB Kingston DataTraveler HyperX Predator as Thumb Drives cheaper than Cloud Drive

Friday, September 25, 2015

US$665 1TB Kingston DataTraveler HyperX Predator as Thumb Drives cheaper than Cloud Drive

Free Cloud Drive in the Gigabyte size from Google Drive (15GB) to Microsoft OneDrive (15) is now the norm.

Apple's iCloud is still overpriced as noted in my MICO Wars Blog article entitled “How to upgrade to more Apple iCloud Storage for a lower price”.

I use a cloud drive for storing documents, but I can't trust it, as I need the internet to access my files. When the internet is down at MICO University College, which is often, I'm stranded, unable to access my work.

I currently have a 16GB Thumb Drive that cost me JA$1000 back in 2014 to store all my files for my Professional Diploma in Teaching course at the MICO University College as well as my written work published on my blogs My Thoughts on Technology and Jamaica,  MICO Wars: The Teacher Force Awakens as well as the Geezam blog.

I'd purchased it for a deal at Royale Computer during The Jamaica Observer's Fashion Night Out, now called TSO (Take Style Out) set to occur on Thursday October 1st 2015 as per the flyer below.



So with TSO now on the horizon on Thursday October 1st 2015, what options exists for thumb drives in the 16GB region or higher and how much would it now cost?

Thumb Drives with the Storage of an External SSD – Portable Storage for your Precious information

Turns out the answer is pretty expensive based on the article “Keychain not included: the five highest-capacity USB flash drives for your digital life”, published September 22, 2015 by Alex Madison, Digitaltrends.

1.      US$665 for the 1TB Kingston DataTraveler HyperX Predator 3.0 USB 
2.      US$340 for the 512GB Corsair Flash Voyager USB 3.0
3.      US$150 for the 256GB Patriot Super Sonic Rage 3.0  
4.      US$100 for the 256GB SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0  
5.      US$155 for the 240GB VisionTek Pocket USB SSD 

Al the above Thumb drive are available at Amazon and are worthwhile investments. So long as you don't lose them, these are basically equivalent and cheaper than Cloud Drive.


They may be a bit pricey compared to a SSD or regular Hard-Drive, like the US$49 Toshiba’s Canvio Basics 1TB Portable Hard Drive as detailed in my MICO Wars blog article entitled “US$49 Toshiba’s Canvio Basics 1TB Portable Hard Drive is a great Amazon deal” but the convenient form factor means they'll be popular with the tech crowd that can afford them.

Prices are gradually trending down, so expect these sizes to become the norm by 2017.  So soon, you’ll have an external Hard-drive that can fit on your keychain or dangle around your neck from a lanyard, convenient and ready to use anywhere, anytime.

No comments: