My Thoughts on Technology and Jamaica: How to find great Freeware Replacement Software for Default Windows Software

Friday, February 7, 2014

How to find great Freeware Replacement Software for Default Windows Software

Whether it’s Windows XP, 7 or even the fault-prone Windows 8, Microsoft seems to have a love affair with bloatware and what I refer to as Crapware. Sub-par software that occupies hard-drive space but does little or nothing. At least Microsoft Windows is installable from a USB Thumb Drive, as described in my Geezam blog article entitled “How to install Microsoft Windows from your USB Drive”, finally catching on to a trend the Linux Community has enjoyed for the last 20 years.

Frankly, I’d love nothing better than to convert every one of my customers who’s OS crashed to Linux, again installable from a USB Thumb Drive as noted in my Geezam blog article entitled “How to boot or install Fedora Linux on your laptop or computer from a Thumb Drive”. But many customer just aren’t ready to hassle with WINE (Windows Emulator) running their popular Programs, such as Microsoft Office, which I do admit is good enough to want to unlock legally as noted in my Geezam blog article entitled “How to Legally Activate installed Microsoft Products – Office 2010’s in the Lost and Found”.

I can’t get them to walk down the aisle with Linux. But the least I can do is get them to do away with the bloatware and Crapware programs that sometimes come pre-loaded with Microsoft Windows. In the process, I end up showing my customers that, despite the obvious contradiction, excellent options to certain Windows Software exist that are free.

So folks, here’s my list of excellent Freeware Programs and the Software that they replace.
      
Just remember to Defrag with Auslogics Disk Defragmenter and use CCleaner to clear unnecessary clutter and keep you files contiguous for Cloud Backups as described in my Geezam blog article entitled “How to Backup you Data using the a List of the Best Free Backup Solutions” or Backups to Physical Media as described in my Geezam blog article entitled “How to do Physical Backup using DVD and CD and a Listing of the best software Burning DVD and CD’s”.

You can basically add these excellent freeware Replacements to the software recommended in my Geezam blog article entitled “Tips and Tricks on how to make your computer run faster”, as they don’t weight down your Hard-Drive with too much activity in the background. The results? Customer take a little getting used to these programs, but appreciate the fact that such excellent options to paid software exist online.


Happy Trails people!   

No comments: